Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Being prepared. Mini 72 hour bag and first aid kit

Growing up my mother taught me to hope for the best and prepare for the worse. So I want to share a bit of preparedness today.

My husband bought me a small bag for Christmas and I love how perfect it is for my mini 72 hour kit/First aid kit for my purse.



It looks so small, right? Wait until you see how much stuff fits inside! And yes, it's from the Hunger Games. It is my favorite movie and book series as it shows the importance of being prepared. It even mentions in the last book about the people who had stocked up on food when the shortages had begun. It also shows that having even a single item can aid in survival.

Now I know we don't live in a broken down society, but we do get stranded on the sides of roads, lose jobs, get hurt while away from home, and deal with nature and it's disasters.

So here is what I managed to pack inside without too much effort. I am still looking around for a few more things to add in there.




Some people think I'm paranoid to keep things like this in my purse.  You never know when you may get a scratch or worse. I stepped on a carpet cutters blade when we moved into our home about 1 1/2 years ago. They put in our carpet and left the blade out on the front walkway. I was barefoot and it went through the bottom of my foot. I went into shock and ripped it out myself. It was a good thing my mother (a nurse) and 2 people were helping us move, both were doctors, or I could have been sitting out front with a split open foot on my own. I would have been happy to have had this kit on hand. Everyone was scrambling for gauze while I sat in shock on the porch with my newborn baby in her car seat. Thank goodness my toddler was still in her bed or she could have stepped on it. I ended up with 5 stitches and couldn't wear my socks or shoes for weeks, but we were not as prepared as I would have liked.

This is just what I keep in my kit, but you may keep other things. Just think of a few scenarios, even silly ones. Public bathrooms don't always have tp or soap. Kids get cuts and scrapes. Places you go may be germ filled. Just keeping a few extra items on hand may help you out more than you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment