Sunday, January 13, 2013

At home taco bell 5 layer burrito recipe

I think sometimes people forget that staying home, cooking and doing food storage, that you can make at home versions of just about anything. When you do urban homesteading, you try not to rely on the stores and going out all the time. I know a lot of people like to stop at fast food restaurants, so here is a nice recipe using food storage items. Food storage is not just dry ingredients, you can also store in the freezer. Things like meat and cheese. Stock up when it's on sale.

Remember, we call this blog SENSIBLE urban homesteading, not going off the grid, not eating wild foods, but at least planning for lean times using a stockpile and food storage. I feel that skills are necessary, but I feel it's important to spend time with my children and not panicking about the future. Just working towards being ready for anything. I personally believe in the 1 year food supply, but I will touch more on that later.

Here is the recipe I made today. Taco bell 5 layer burrito recipe for home.

Ingredients:
Shredded cheese
Cheesy chip dip- I used the actual taco bell brand, but you can use just about any.
Taco seasoning- optional to use the taco bell brand
Sour cream- optional to make it more authentic, but I don't like sour cream, so I leave it out.
Hamburger- Blended if you choose to make it smaller pieces
Refried beans. I usually make home versions but I was in a bit of a hurry to make lunch before   the kids went to nap. Home made versions are really easy. Just take pinto beans (dried) and powder them in the blender. Add a little hot water, season with garlic and other seasonings of your choice, and cook until it is a paste. Or you can also cook the beans first and then mash/blend and season.

Please ignore my date stamp. It's a day behind and I forgot to turn it off anyway. 


                                          Cook up your hamburger until it's nice and brown
                                         Spread some cheese chip dip on a tortilla nice and thin.
                                    Place a second tortilla on top. I use the smaller tortillas from Costco
                                          Place a small spoon full of beans on and spread thin.
                                                               Add shredded cheese
                                            Add your taco seasoned hamburger on top
                                                  Fold up however you see fit and enjoy!
                                          I used all of the ingredients from our food storage, so
                                          keep in mind you don't have to just eat rice and canned
                                                                   vegetables.


1 comment:

  1. Trying this out later this week! Preston is going to LOVE this :)

    ReplyDelete